Friday, March 6, 2009

Once I dreamed..

I was looking through some old sheet music over the weekend, and I found a song that I wrote when I was in College studying Engineering (I would later change my major to Music). The song (called "Once I dreamed") spoke about childhood fantasies like kings & queens, moviestars, & musicians...the refrain went like this:

Once I dreamed a thousand dreams.
The world was oh so fun and new.
What has changed in my life?
What has happened to the boy I knew?
His dreams are gone...

How depressing!  I was studying Engineering at the University of Connecticut because I was particularly good at Math and Science. I have no doubt that I would have made a very good Engineer and I would have earned a decent living. But here's the problem: I would have been miserable! I can see now how lucky I was to switch my major to Music. Even if it wasn't the most 'prestigious' or 'profitable' vocation, I knew that I needed to dedicate myself to something that I truly loved. So... I quit Engineering. That's right - I quit! 

Too many times, we're told to "stick with it", "never give up"... This can be good advice if there is a long-term advantage to sticking with it. But, if the purpose is to stick with it just to stick with it - no thanks! That's like giving up your dreams...

So, as the ides of March approach (March 15th), I'm looking hard at everything I do to see if there's anything else I can quit - I'd like to keep the world fun and new!

No comments: